A few years ago my husband went through a Rice Krispie Treat phase. I believe I made Rice Krispie treats every week for 2 whole months. Eventually he did tire of the Rice Krispie Treats just not before he wanted some variation. I looked in my refrigerator to see what I could possibly add to the Rice Krispie Treats to make them “different”. I saw a jar of La Salamandra Dulce de Leche and decided to incorporate the Dulce de Leche into the Rice Krispie Treats. Through despiration and discovery I came up with a winner. I hope you enjoy them as much as he does.
3 Tablespoons Butter
10.5 ounces (or 4 Cups) Miniature Marshmallows
6 Cups Kellog’s Rice Krispies Cereal
2 Heaping Tablespoons Dulce de Leche
1 Tablespoon Dulce de Leche, used for drizzling
I know the original Rice Krispies recipe calls for miniature or regular marshmallows, but I have found the miniature marshmallows melt easier and more uniformly.
1. Butter 9×9 glass dish or 8×8 brownie pan. The smaller the pan the thicker the Rice Krispie Treats.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Do NOT let the marshmallows stick. If need be you can add in a teaspoon of butter.
3. Stir in 2 Tablespoons dulce de leche. Remove from heat.
4. Mix in Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
5. Spread the mixture using a buttered spatula evenly into an 9×9 glass baking dish. If you are brave, butter your hands and use them to press the mixture into the pan. Take precaution - hot marshmallow is like napalm!
6. Microwave the remaining 1 Tablespoon of dulce de leche for between 15 – 30 seconds, depending on your microwave power.
7. Drizzle the melted dulce de leche over the top of the Rice Krispie treats. Cut into 2-inch squares when cool. Because of the addition of dulce de leche, the treats will take longer to set.